This page may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through any of these links, I may make a small commission. Click here for my full disclosure statement.
One of the biggest trends this summer is matching coordinate sets. After the early 2000’s it seemed such an outplayed thing to wear matching tops and bottoms, but with the fun prints, crop tops and other creative trends of the moment, it’s once again perfectly acceptable.
Coordinates are an easy and foolproof way to look chic even if you aren’t an avid fashionista, but if you want to step up your game, here are my best tips to level-up your coordinates. Also, keep reading for some gorgeous 2-piece sets from my favorite stores!
More Fashion Posts:
- 5 Must-Have Types of Maxi Skirts For Summer
- The Look For Less: Hermés Lindy – $5,900 vs. $47.74
- The Look For Less: I Am Gia
- The Scary Truth You Need to Know Before Buying Counterfeit Luxury Handbags
- Back to School 2018: Style Steals + Comfy School Outfit Tips
#1: Pick Complementing Colors
If you’re wearing a bold-colored or printed set, play down your outfit by making sure your accessories and other items are in sync with the color palette. When in doubt, camel and brown hues are a safe option for summer!
I chose to style my orange 2-piece set from Legato Apparel with a simple pair of brown sandals. The brown color complements the warmth of the orange, and this particular sandal also matches so many other outfits and pieces in my wardrobe.
Most of the time your coordinate set will be the highlight of the outfit, so don’t overdo it with over-the-top shoes and accessories that have clashing colors or prints.
#2: Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize
Top off your outfit with a hat or some sunglasses. Short sleeves? Wear some bracelets and bangles. Plunging neckline? Wear layered necklaces. Straw bags are also in right now, and you’ll probably be relieved to know that they’re much more affordable than luxury bags – most of them are under $100!
#3: Pick the Right Shoe
While it’s impossible to make any coordinate set look bad, here are some of my tips on pairing shoes with varying lengths of hems:
- Short skirts and shorts pair nicely with gladiator sandals or even boots (if you can stand the heat)
- Maxi skirts allow you to get away in more casual flat sandals
- Midi skirts look awesome with a high heel sandal
My Favorite Stores to Find Coordinate Sets
Tobi carries their own budget-friendly label full of cute printed coordinates, but you’ll also find popular labels like ASTR, The Jetset Diaries, Finders Keepers, MINKPINK and more. Best of all: new customers get 50% off their first purchase when they sign up for their newsletter.
If you’re looking for designer labels, Shopbop carries some of my favorite brands known for coordinates like Faithfull the Brand, J.O.A., WAYF, Keepsake, For Love & Lemons, The Fifth Label and much more. Although some of their labels may not be dirt-cheap, you’ll be pleased to know that Shopbop frequently has sales, so you’ll be getting quality labels for a fraction of the original price.
Do you own any coordinate sets in your summer wardrobe? Let me know in the comments and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter below for more fashion posts and styling tips.
More Fashion Posts:
- Spring Sales: 40% Off Festival Outfit Trends
- The Look For Less: Balenciaga Ceinture Ankle Boot – $1,275 vs. $100
- Shopbop Sale: 20-25% off + Designer Denim $41.40 & Up, Summer Clearance $20.70 & Up and More
- The Look For Less: Chloe Small Nile Minaudiere – $1,450 vs. $59.97
- Yeezy Season 2 Inspired Peep-Toe Boots