This page may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through any of these links, I may make a small commission. Click here for my full disclosure statement.
Have you thought about leaving your partner but didn’t think you could financially survive a breakup or be alone? We’re getting deep in a discussion full of heartbreak, radical life changes, and tackling the fear of being alone. In today’s podcast episode, Dannie Vann from Pennies to Wealth and I discuss my newest chapter in life: ending a 6-year relationship.
Although my recent partner and I weren’t married, we still built a life together and were on the way to marriage, which made the process of separation painful. Just 2 years ago, Dannie was in a similar situation, but even deeper: she was married for almost 10 years.
Dannie’s story has been an inspiration to me ever since I first followed her last year, but I never thought that one day my story would follow the same path. We both stayed too long in relationships that were no longer serving us; however, pulling the plug was the best decision for us. Dannie’s story of making it out on the other side of heartbreak and becoming financially stable once again serves as a beacon of hope for many other women just like me who’ve just begun the healing journey.
In this episode, Dannie and I spill the tea on both of our stories of navigating through heartbreak while balancing the more practical side of separation: learning how to financially survive transitioning from a 2-person household income down to 1. We talk about grief, the financial strategies we’ve used to rebuild ourselves, learning to love ourselves again, dating post-breakup/divorce, and what’s in store for us moving forward.
In This Episode:
- Dannie’s life before the divorce (2:30)
- When Dannie knew it was time to leave (5:08)
- How culture enables women to become codependent in relationships (6:08)
- Dealing with grief and loss (8:06)
- How Dannie discovered her relationship was holding her back (9:23)
- Losing your identity in an unfulfilling relationship (11:34)
- What Dannie’s healing journey looked like (13:11)
- The cost of being single in this economy (16:19)
- How to retain your independence in a relationship (18:42)
- Why people avoid discussing money in relationships (21:51)
- There is never a “right” time to leave a relationship (23:00)
- Focusing on financial strategy when leaving (25:39)
- Discussing the breakup with your partner (29:22)
- Finding support outside of the relationship (31:28)
- Learning to be comfortable being alone (32:32)
- Where we are settling outside of our relationships (36:37)
- Getting into “situationships” after a serious relationship (39:05)
- Dating when you’re financially insecure (44:08)
- Toxic men who prefer women who are struggling (47:05)
- How financial stability ensures healthier dating (49:56)
- What are our future plans for ourselves (53:19)
Where you can find Dannie Vann:
Are you thinking about exiting a long-term relationship or leaving a marriage? Let’s chat in the comments. Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and subscribe to my newsletter below for more money tips & tricks. If you liked this podcast episode, share it with someone you know and leave us a review on iTunes so new listeners can find this podcast too.