Rocks. Gemstones. Crystals. Most people would laugh I told them I used crystals for emotional healing, but it’s something I’ve been sucked into for quite some time.
During my time as a spa therapist, I learned a lot about chakra healing and how a holistic and even spiritual approach to wellness and relaxation can create endless benefits to the body. Chronic stress is an indirect cause to many illnesses and diseases, so practicing wellness is vital to prevent health concerns, especially for people like me who deal with heavy amounts of stress on a daily basis.
So, how do crystals help achieve mental, emotional and physical wellness? Crystal healing is said to draw out negative energy when placed on various points of the body. Physical contact or even simply being around crystals can create positive channels of energy to enter the body, forcing out negative, disease-causing energy to come out.
A more scientific explanation for the skeptics: everything is made of matter, and to create matter, the energy emitted from a substance’s atoms must vibrate at a certain rate. Compared to other substances, crystals naturally have a unique structure that allows them to vibrate at much higher frequencies and emit powerful energy around them.
The energy of crystals is actually already being used around us in our daily lives: Silicon is used in both cell phone and computer processors while Quartz is used to regulate the energy in watches and clocks. Pyrite is used in battery-free radio receivers, and Ruby was used in the very first laser created back in the 60’s. Need I say more?
Our bodies are also very compatible with crystals. Did you notice that we need certain minerals in our diet to function? These minerals are actually found in crystals. The cells in our body also vibrate at various frequencies, so when we are exposed to the energy of crystals, our vibrations are raised higher. This concept about energy and raising vibrations is the same as with essential oils (in fact, I actually wrote a guide about it here). Organic substances like oils and crystals are very powerful to our bodies and can be extremely beneficial to our overall health!
How to Start Using Crystals for Emotional Healing
Now you’re interested in trying out crystals, where do you start? Make sure to pick up my favorite book The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall. This encyclopedia for crystals has a permanent place on my desk, and whenever I get the urge to pick up a new crystal I sift through the book and find one that piques my interest.
For beginners, I’m sure the question is, “what crystals do I get first?” Every crystal helps to open up a specific chakra, or energy centers, in the body (there are 7). Any issues you may have will correlate to energy blockages in its respective chakra. So if you’d like to cover all your bases, my favorite Etsy store New Moon Beginnings has a Raw Crystal 7 Chakra Set for $25 that includes 1 crystal for each chakra, making it a very valuable set. This is pretty much all you’ll need!
Add $10 and you get a beautiful Selenite plate that doubles as a great conversational piece perfect for the coffee or bedside table. Selenite helps to “recharge” your crystals after use so that any negative energy absorbed by the crystals is removed, allowing your crystals to be highly effective during each use. We’ll talk about more about how this process works next.
Cleansing Your Crystals
Every crystal has its own long and unique journey before landing in your lap: it’s first found somewhere in nature, then cut into pieces, bought by a store, resold, and then given to the mailman before it finds it’s way to you. Imagine how much energy these crystals have absorbed from different places and people prior to you owning it!
When crystals have absorbed energy, they become less effective over time. You can cleanse your crystals a number of ways, but I personally like to smudge my crystals using the smoke of Sage or Palo Santo. Simply light the dried herb and waft the smoke around the crystals. It’s actually a quite soothing practice that gets me into a meditative and relaxed state.
As we mentioned earlier, Selenite can actually be used to cleanse and recharge your crystals without diminishing their own energy. If you get a Selenite plate, using it is pretty much the same as using a wireless charging pad for your phone.
Lastly, you can always give your crystals to nature and let them bathe in the sun or sit overnight during a full moon. Be aware that some crystals may fade in the sunlight, so refer to The Crystal Bible and double-check that your crystals can handle sunbathing before doing this.
Ways to Use Your Crystals
There are several ways to harness the energy of your crystals. There is honestly no “right” way to do this, but the most common way is to carry them with you. As a child, did you ever carry around a good luck charm with you wherever you went? You can do exactly this with crystals. Keeping yourself in close proximity to a crystal will help you harness its energy. Afraid of confrontation? Bring Black Tourmaline and you’ll be protected from psychic attacks and negative energy. If you want to attract love or create a happy environment, keep Rose Quartz on hand. Maybe you want more opportunities to make money – bring Green Aventurine, Jade, or Moss Agate with you!
There are so many other ways you can use your crystals, but these are some of my favorites:
- Place on your body to alleviate ailments
- Use during meditation or yoga
- Keep some in your car, desk or any place you spend a lot of your time
- Tuck them under your pillow when you sleep
- Make “crystal-infused” water with crystals that will not dissolve in water and drink it or use it on your face
- Decorate your home
- Wear as jewelry
My Current Favorite Crystals
Collecting crystals is half the fun! I can’t resist adding more to my collection since I love to learn about new crystals and how I can use their energy. Here are some of my favorite crystals of the moment:
- Rose Quartz: This rejuvenating crystal is the crystal for all things love. Not only does Rose Quartz attract romance, but it also assists with healing heartbreak and encouraging self-love. Rose Quartz also stimulates the circulatory system, motion sickness, increases fertility and aids in healing postpartum.
- Jade: Popular in Asia, Jade represents prosperity, good luck, and wisdom. Having Jade around the home attracts wealth and aids you in pursuing your dreams. Jade also symbolizes good luck and friendship.
- Sunstone: Sunstone is a stone of happiness and self-fulfillment that allows you to harness your true inner power. Excellent for accomplishing goals or pursuing leadership, Sunstone eliminates any self-doubt and fears that may be preventing you from fearlessly obtaining what you want.
- Chrysocolla: Perfect for those who deal with chronic stress, anxiety, or depression, Chrysocolla is a great stone to keep in your pocket to draw away any negativity from your energy field. Physically, it is beneficial for reducing menstrual pain and assists in creating a peaceful and happy pregnancy.
- Aragonite: Aragonite is a beautiful and unique crystal cluster that radiates positive energy in all directions to help release negative energy. If you feel like life’s knocked you on your feet, Aragonite can help ground you and raise your vibrational energy.
- Lapis Lazuli: Also known as the Stone of Wisdom, Lapis Lazuli is good to have around when you feel the desire to increase your awareness, find truth, or discover a new perspective. If you are facing a problem that you need to solve, this blue stone can help aid you in intellectual analysis as well as communication. The physical benefits of this stone includes regulating the endocrine and thyroid glands, increasing circulation and alleviating insomnia.
- Moss Agate: Similar to Jade, Moss Agate is another green stone that attracts abundance. However, there is one different attribute: Moss Agate brings you closer to nature, so it can actually help aid the growth of your plants when placed under the soil. Emotionally, it also works to soothe hot tempers and can help you regain your grounding. Physically, it is an effective anti-inflammatory and can help reduce swelling and boost the immune system.
- White Howlite: If you suffer from insomnia or have trouble getting into a relaxed state, White Howlite can be placed under your pillow to help you sleep. Perfect for anxious or busy folks who can’t manage to sleep because of overflowing work-related thoughts, it helps to still the mind, which also makes this stone great for meditation.
- Blue Apatite: My personal favorite. This pretty blue stone doubles as a stone to harness your inner creativity as well as help control your appetite. I use this stone in times of emotional distress when I feel like my eating disorder is going to take over, and just holding it in my palm helps me quiet my low self-esteem and diminishes thoughts about compulsive eating. Physically, it works to suppress hunger and also raises your metabolic rate.
How to Add Crystals to Your Current Lifestyle
If you’re new to the world of alternative or spiritual healing and are the type to roll your eyes at these kinds of things, you can still add crystals into your lifestyle without having to carry them around. You can incorporate crystals into your lifestyle, home decor or even jewelry. I absolutely love New Moon Beginnings because they have so many choices to pick from for both the new crystal healer and the seasoned crystal junkie.
I’m a sucker for a good candle, especially one that’s made of soy wax and essential oils and is also lead-free. New Moon Beginnings sent some Crystal & Herb-Infused Tea Lights for me to try out, and not only do they smell super good, but they are so incredibly cute in these Better Homes & Gardens Wire Tea Light Holders I got from Walmart that were only $2.84 each (what!?)!
If you want a larger candle, the 7.5-oz Crystal & Herb Candles are $15.50 and hold their smell for a loooooong time. I use my 7.5-oz Sacred Smudge candle that’s infused with Sage to cleanse my crystals and it’s been lasting for a while, so it’s good to know that the fragrance lasts longer than most essential oil-based candles.
Jewelry is an excellent way to protect your energy field from negative energy attacks while staying fashionable. I prefer crystal jewelry that doesn’t look too “hippy,” and I’ve gotta say that New Moon Beginnings hit the nail on the head with their pieces – some of them look like they would be found at Anthropologie for $75+! The metal is also gold or silver-plated, so if you get allergic reactions, these are safe.
Peep my favorite picks, but don’t steal my favorite choices because I’m trying to get some pieces soon. Just kidding… I’ll just live vicariously through you.
Home decor more your thing? You would be surprised how many awesome things can be made from crystals. Grab a crystal candle holder for those crystal-infused tealights or get a set Rose Quartz coasters to energize your water. And don’t these pieces look so chic?
Do you see yourself using crystals? Did any crystals in this post call to you? Let’s chat in the comments below – I’d love to hear your thoughts! Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter as well for more health and wellness posts.
More Health & Wellness Posts:
- Why Being Selfish is My New Year’s Resolution
- 25 Life Lessons I Learned When I Turned 25
- How to Deal With Negative Family and Friends
- How to Use Crystals For Emotional Healing